Sunday, April 06, 2008

Messy Fun






This morning I was in my bedroom getting dressed naturally hours after the boys and I all I heard from the living room were hushed voiced and unnatural silence which in a parents reality means a huge mess in the progress. Which it was because I entered the living room to find Ayden and Alex with dry pinto beans dumped all over the carpet. Now this was my time to react but instead of doing my normal frustrated/angry move I took a deep breath and went over to the boys and calmly helped them pick up the beans with all intentions of moving them to a an easier to clean surface, the Linoleum floor in the kitchen. The boys were thrilled with the idea that I wasn't putting their fun away and vigorously helped me move the beans. Now we started off with one kind of beans and I went into the kitchen and got two more kinds of dry beans from the cupboard and the fun that ensued was just wonderful. Ayden learned a new phrase out of the whole thing "Wait I have and idea, I'' be right back". I said that few times each time introducing new beans or toys into the mix. Ayden's new idea was to bring out his tractors so that he could scoop and dump. This was a wonderful learning experience for my boys because it was really the first time that they have had the chance to just play and experience different beans without fear of getting trouble. Ayden tough Alex to put beans in his ears and Alex learned he didn't like the feel of beans on his feet. We scooped, threw, scattered, tasted, dumped, transfered, swept and had a blast with dry beans for a whole hour this morning. Jason called towards the end of the hour and Ayden was so excited to tell his daddy all about the beans and his tractors. It was great because Jason did allot of laughing and chuckling at all the boys antics and the great fun that was happening on our end of telephone almost making it seem like he was right there with us experiencing beans.

1 comment:

Ariele O'Brien said...

Good call Mom!!