This year I decided to stay home instead of going down to Vancouver with the family. There is a tradition of sorts within the military community. If there are single soldiers or families that cannot make it home to their families for the holidays their NCO's (Non Commissioned Officers) will generally bring them in and have the holidays all together like one big extended family. That is what I participated in tonight. My friend Rachael and her husband Myers (Trey) hosted the dinner where one single solder and another soldier with his wife and 4 children came for dinner. Rachael also had one of her FCC Fathers and his little boy come to dinner as well. It was allot of fun meeting all of the new people. I hope that the this night will be the beginnings of new friendships. So you may be wondering what is up with the four pies shown above? Well they are the very first pie's that I have ever made all by myself. I made the Pumpkin pies from scratch both crust and filling. The chocolate pies I had premade crusts for and because this was my first pie adventure I made a huge rookie mistake. Instead of cooking the pie crust before I added the filling I just added the fining and called it good not realizing that the crust where still dough. I did not realize this tiny detail until right before we where about to serve them tonight. We still managed and just ate the filling and threw away the crust. The filling turned out great so at least I did right there. The pumpkins where perfect so I aced those pies but now I know to bake the crust before adding the filling :).
Thursday, November 22, 2007
Thanksgiving Military Style
This year I decided to stay home instead of going down to Vancouver with the family. There is a tradition of sorts within the military community. If there are single soldiers or families that cannot make it home to their families for the holidays their NCO's (Non Commissioned Officers) will generally bring them in and have the holidays all together like one big extended family. That is what I participated in tonight. My friend Rachael and her husband Myers (Trey) hosted the dinner where one single solder and another soldier with his wife and 4 children came for dinner. Rachael also had one of her FCC Fathers and his little boy come to dinner as well. It was allot of fun meeting all of the new people. I hope that the this night will be the beginnings of new friendships. So you may be wondering what is up with the four pies shown above? Well they are the very first pie's that I have ever made all by myself. I made the Pumpkin pies from scratch both crust and filling. The chocolate pies I had premade crusts for and because this was my first pie adventure I made a huge rookie mistake. Instead of cooking the pie crust before I added the filling I just added the fining and called it good not realizing that the crust where still dough. I did not realize this tiny detail until right before we where about to serve them tonight. We still managed and just ate the filling and threw away the crust. The filling turned out great so at least I did right there. The pumpkins where perfect so I aced those pies but now I know to bake the crust before adding the filling :).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Brandy,
Sorry to not be in touch over the Thanksgiving holiday. We spent a quiet day with family in NC. Guess I am just catching up after all the events of the fall. You really seem to be handling the "single" parent thing with much grace. Glad to hear you are going back to school. Hope that works out. It will probably be good for your boys also. Mothering is not for sissies as I am sure you have found out. Keep in touch. I hope to do better.
Love, Aunt Vilda
Post a Comment